[Dnsmasq-discuss] resolver options

AJ Weber aweber at comcast.net
Tue Feb 6 18:01:42 GMT 2007

Nice pod-cast. ;)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert
  To: dnsmasq-discuss at lists.thekelleys.org.uk
  Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 12:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] resolver options

  Looking at the source (network.c, reload_servers()@536), i would say no.

  > For example, I'm considering changing timeout to 2 (instead of the
  > default of 5), because I've had some issues with my ISP's DNS servers
  > recently and don't want to wait too long for the timeout.  With the
  > broadband connection, any of the nameservers in my list consistenly
  > returns in < 1 sec (when they're up, of course).
  >
  > Will this have the desired effect?  Any comments or concerns with
  > that change in general?  Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the
  > "options timeout:" ?

  Hmmmm, must read up on this...

  > ALSO...(DIFFERENT TOPIC) : Is there no way to tell dnsmasq to dump
  > it's current lease-info to a file that could be read on restart so it
  > knows about all outstanding DHCP leases?  It's rare that I have to
  > restart dnsmasq or the linux box it's on, but when I do, it forces me
  > to restart a lot of client machines in case I'd get a dhcp/IP address
  > mix-up (where dnsmasq doesn't know an IP Address is already leased to
  > a running client, and a new client requests a lease so it hands-out
  > the same address).

  Huh?
  /me scratches his head.
  Normaly you don't need any dump-file-flag, because dnsmasq maintains a
  lease-file (there is even a special option for these WRT SOHO router, to
  keep it in battery backed RAM, because the FS is ro).

  Mine is placed in /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases and works(TM).

  Maybe there is a problem with file permissions and such things.
  You may want to take a look at the "dhcp-leasefile"-option (-l on the
  cmd-line). It's also possible that either you have set "leasefile-ro"
  (-9 on the cmd-line) or the isc-leasefile code interference with it.

  > Thanks in advance, AJ

  Greetings
  Jan

  --