[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq as local DNS cache - scenario: notebook with ppp/dhcp conigured links

Mateusz Korniak mateusz-lists at ant.gliwice.pl
Wed Feb 7 13:52:32 GMT 2007

Hi !
I am using dnsmasq as excellent dns speed up on my notebook.
And it works great ! Big thanks to authors !

I have only problem with dynamically created links.

I made my dhcp client to overwrite /etc/resolv.conf every time link is
configured with preadding 127.0.0.1 as nameserver in front of list.
That fixed dhcp links but that trick does not work with ppp created (gprs -
really slow ) links for me.
As ppp stores it's dnses in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf when ppp link is created and
no additions of nameservers seems to be possible.

What is your sugestion for fixing that issue ?

I was thinking about feature allowing to define many
resolv-files
and than:
1) use nameservers only from most recently updated file
2) use namservers summed from all resolv-files (and filtering nameservers
which are not accessible) ?

TIA for any comments, best regards,
--
Mateusz Korniak