[Dnsmasq-discuss] SMTP server DNS resolution

Fri Feb 9 11:54:05 GMT 2007

Hello,

Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question (I'm kind of new to running
my own smtp server)...

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks, and am convinced that I just
have to deploy DNSMasq on a test server and see if it will be an
excellent!! option for use on a new Samba server I will be deploying to
replace an aging Windows 2000 server. It looks like it will be perfect,
but I had a question with respect to its use by an SMTP server for mail
delivery.

I want to use the OpenDNS server for all queries that go outside our
network for web browsing, but for obvious reasons, I don't want our SMTP
server to use the OpenDNS servers for DNS resolution for mail delivery,
but I do want to use DNS caching.

Before I stumbled onto DNSMasq, I had been planning on using
djbdns/dnscache for normal network DNS (using the OpenDNS servers for
forwarded upstream requests), and just setting up a separate dnscache
for the SMTP server (using the authoritative root servers for the
forwarded upstream requests)

So, my question is, can DNSMasq be easily configured to provide a
separate cache, with separate forwarders, for a specific IP address (ie,
the IP address of my smtp server)?

If not, I'm guessing I could just set up a second instance that didn't
do dhcp, but just did dns for my smtp server?

--

Best regards,

Charles