[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: dnsmasq-2.38

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Feb 12 20:50:07 GMT 2007

In an attempt to increase the average release-rate after the long gap
over christmas, I've released dnsmasq 2.38. :-)

Seriously, this fixes a problem introduced in 2.37 which can cause
dnsmasq to hang, using 100% CPU. It's not clear how likely it is for
this bug to occur in reality: I've had exactly one report. I think that
at least one infinite-time DHCP lease must exist before the problem
occurs, and I suspect that other conditions are also required.

There's also a fix for a long-standing nasty bug with --strict-order,
see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=410185 for details.

The complete changelog looks like this:

release 2.38
             Fix compilation on *BSD. Thanks to Tom Hensel.

             Don't send length zero DHCP option 43 and cope with
             encapsulated options whose total length exceeds 255 octets
             by splitting them into multiple option 43 pieces.

             Avoid queries being retried forever when --strict-order is
             set and an upstream server returns a SERVFAIL
             error. Thanks to Johannes Stezenbach for spotting this.

             Fix BOOTP support, broken in version 2.37.

             Add example dhcp-options for Etherboot.

             Add \e (for ASCII ESCape) to the set of valid escapes
             in config-file strings.

             Added --dhcp-option-force flag and examples in the
             configuration file which use this to control PXELinux.

             Added --tftp-no-blocksize option.

             Set netid tag "bootp" when BOOTP (rather than DHCP) is in
             use. This makes it easy to customise which options are
             sent to BOOTP clients. (BOOTP allows only 64 octets for
             options, so it can be necessary to trim things.)

             Fix rare hang in cache code, a 2.37 regression. This
             probably needs an infinite DHCP lease and some bad luck to
             trigger. Thanks to Detlef Reichelt for bug reports and
             testing.