[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: dhcp doesn't work

Johannes Graumann johannes_graumann at web.de
Tue Feb 13 21:09:21 GMT 2007

Simon Kelley wrote:

> The classic answer is probably firewall rules: ISC dhcpd bypasses the
> firewall: dnsmasq doesn't. The requirements are in the FAQ. Quote:
>
>     For the dnsmasq daemon to operate it's vital that UDP packets to
>     and from ports 67 and 68 and broadcast packets with source
>     address 0.0.0.0 and destination address 255.255.255.255 are not
>     dropped by iptables/ipchains.
BINGO - me idiot! But I was kind of taken off track by the fact that dhcpd3
worked ... adding 'dhcp' to the proper entry in /etc/shorewall/interfaces
solved the problem - could have figured that out on my own!

> Oh, and you can replicate "deny unknown-clients;" by changing the
> dhcp-range line to
>
> dhcp-range=192.168.0.3,static,12h
>
> "log-facility local7;" becomes
>
> log-facility=local7
>
> and "authoritative;" becomes
>
> dhcp-authoritative
Thanks for those! Just one question: '192.168.0.3' in this context just
defines the subnet to use, no? So would '192.168.0.0' work as well?

Thanks for the amazingly fast rescue by the MAN himself! Keep at the good
Debianing - please!

Joh