[Dnsmasq-discuss] Mysterious dnsmasq 2.38 'hangs'

Paul Chambers bod at bod.org
Fri Feb 16 22:11:54 GMT 2007

/etc/nsswitch.conf is untouched, so it does indeed have:

hosts:	files dns

All the aliases for that machine are indeed in /etc/hosts.

With regards to your earlier question: It's not _sending_ logging info
to a remote server, but it is _receiving_ remote logging packets from my
colocation server. Incoming remote logging traffic is pretty low,
though. But come to think of it, the colocation server's name isn't in
the hosts file, so when syslog looks that up, it may cause dnsmasq to
send a request upstream.

Anyhow, I've finished converting all the 'syslog(LOG_<SOMETHING>, ...)'
into 'log_<something>(...)' calls, and added log_debug(), log_info(),
log_warning(), and log_error() functions into utils.c that just use
vfprintf to stderr (i.e. no syslog() calls). The hacked version is
running now, with the -d option. But it'll take a few hours before I'll
know if it made any difference.

BTW, I'm using two openDNS nameservers upstream, along with the two my
ISP provides. The openDNS servers are great, very responsive and
reliable, but they do return a bogus nxdomain for lookup failures,
though they're actually using it for good reason - if a web browser then
connects to the wildcard domain they returned, it serves a web page with
a google search for the words in the domain name you (mis)typed. As an
aside, I'd find it useful to be able to restrict the effect of
'bogus-nxdomain' to lookups in a given domain, as the openDNS behavior
is actually useful - I just don't want it for lookups within my local
domain.

Paul