[Dnsmasq-discuss] dyndns-style addition of names

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Apr 1 21:32:02 BST 2007

I have a remote machine whose IP address is not static.  I could use
a dyndns.org service, but I'd much rather keep this less public.

That machine can and does connect via SSH to my dnsmasq home server
fairly regularly.  What would you recommend I do to add an entry in my local
home domain?

Let's say I want to call my remote machine "remote.home" in my home network.
Currently I add/update a "<ipaddresse> remote.home" line in my /etc/hosts
file and then kill -HUP the "dnsmasq" ?

The problem with that option is that the remote host does not ssh-in as
root, so it can't change /etc/hosts nor kill-hup the dnsmasq daemon.  So I
have to use a cron daemon to poll some other file and do that.

Does anyone have a better idea?  Ideally I'd want dnsmasq to poll an
etc/hosts-like file directly.

        Stefan