[Dnsmasq-discuss] dyndns-style addition of names

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Apr 2 10:34:04 BST 2007

Aaron D. Brooks wrote:

>     - dbus may be able to allow a different user to send
>       a "ClearCache"  method call to dnsmasq.

I'm not sure about this, but it looks like it may be possible by adding
suitable XML to   /etc/dbus-1/system.d/dnsmasq.conf

Assuming that permissions are a soluble problem, it might make sense to
add a DBus method to add host records directly. The main problem with
this is that they would be lost over a dnsmasq restart, unless there's
another daemon somewhere which stores the information and re-sends to
dnsmasq when it starts up and send the "Up" signal.

This is a general problem: I'd quite like to provide a DBus method to
add MAC address/name/IP records for DHCP, but that breaks for the same
reason.

Maybe a solution would be to add code to make such configuration
persistent by storing it in a file. That would mean that server
addresses/domains and possibly DNS host records and DHCP host records
could be set by DBus, and would remain until explicitly cleared.

Does that sound sensible?