[Dnsmasq-discuss] excessive cpu consumption in 2.39rc1

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Apr 12 18:19:10 BST 2007

Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> I've been using rc1 without problems but today I noticed a big cpu
> consumption. I also get many of these messages in the log:
>
> dnsmasq[6137]: overflow: 27 log entries lost
>
> I disabled log-queries and log-dhcp and still get them(?!). Any ideas
> about what's going on?

Is the CPU being used by dnsmasq, or is the machine busy because of
other load? That message is given by the latest code when is cannot log
stuff fast enough, which could be because syslogd is not running fast
enough, or the disk is too busy to write the logs. If you do --log-max=0
then the old, blocking behaviour is restored, so that you'll be able to
see what dnsmasq was trying to log.

If the extra CPU load comes from dnsmasq, there might be a bug in the
new logging code. Are you using syslog, or syslog-ng?