[Dnsmasq-discuss] excessive cpu consumption in 2.39rc1

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Thu Apr 12 20:23:33 BST 2007

Simon Kelley (simon at thekelleys.org.uk) wrote on 12 April 2007 18:19:
 >Carlos Carvalho wrote:
 >> I've been using rc1 without problems but today I noticed a big cpu
 >> consumption. I also get many of these messages in the log:
 >>
 >> dnsmasq[6137]: overflow: 27 log entries lost
 >>
 >> I disabled log-queries and log-dhcp and still get them(?!). Any ideas
 >> about what's going on?
 >
 >Is the CPU being used by dnsmasq, or is the machine busy because of
 >other load?

At that moment it was both.

 >That message is given by the latest code when is cannot log
 >stuff fast enough, which could be because syslogd is not running fast
 >enough, or the disk is too busy to write the logs. If you do --log-max=0
 >then the old, blocking behaviour is restored, so that you'll be able to
 >see what dnsmasq was trying to log.

 >If the extra CPU load comes from dnsmasq, there might be a bug in the
 >new logging code. Are you using syslog, or syslog-ng?

syslog. Didn't have time to change yet.

I found strange that it complained about overflow even without
log-queries and log-dhcp but this only happened right after starting,
so it could be because of the overall load.

I'll turn the logging again and use --log-max=0 to see what happens.