[Dnsmasq-discuss] Wrong hostname in DHCP answer if FQDN in /etc/hosts

Michael Heimpold michael.heimpold at s2000.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue May 8 07:03:16 BST 2007

Hi,

I just played around with automatic debian installation and wondered
why the (simple) hostname was set to the FQDN. I checked with
tcpdump and found that the hostname field in the DHCP answer packet
from dnsmasq already contains the FQDN. After some searching I tracked
the problem down to my /etc/hosts file, which I filled with FQDNs
(because I think this is the correct way of defining entries in this file):
-snip-
192.168.0.253   debian.heimpold.lan. debian
-snap-

Now I wonder if I configured anything wrong or if dnsmasq processes
this file incorrectly (I assume that the hostname must not include any dot
by definition - is this assumption correct?)?

I temporary solved this by dropping the FQDNs from /etc/hosts and
adding 'expand-hosts' to my dnsmasq config. 'domain' was already set before.

Regards,
Michael