[Dnsmasq-discuss] Wrong hostname in DHCP answer if FQDN in /etc/hosts

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue May 8 11:07:12 BST 2007

Michael Heimpold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your quick responding.
>
>> Which version of dnsmasq are you using?
>
> Oh, sorry, I'm still using v2.38.

That's fine.

>> That seems to me to be the correct behaviour, but not what you are
>> seeing. I have a vague memory that this code changed in the past, but I
>> can't find when, with a quick scan of the changelog.
>
> This is what I did too, but I missed the new version :-(
> Ok, I will upgrade and try again.

There was no change to any of this code between 2.38 and 2.39, the stuff
I'm half-remembering was much longer ago.

What exactly is being sent? DHCP has options for hostname, domain name
and "Full-qualified domain name". I would expect hostname to be a  bare
name, domain name to be what's set by the --domain dnsmasq option and
FQDN to be both together. If the automatic installation is using the
FQDN as its domain name, then that's a bug in the installer. If the
domain name option is set as the FQDN that's a bug in dnsmasq.

Are you sure that the installer (is it FAI?) isn't doing a reverse-DNS
lookup on the IP address and using that to set the hostname? That would
fit with you original description.

192.168.0.253   debian.heimpold.lan. debian

and reverse lookup 192.168.0.253 will give debian.heimpold.lan

192.168.0.253   debian debian.heimpold.lan.