[Dnsmasq-discuss] Decouple DHCP and DNS

Daniel Mentz usenet at fire-of-desire.de
Thu May 24 16:49:23 BST 2007

I'm using dnsmasq as a DNS and DHCP server.

As described in the manual page, dnsmasq is answering DNS queries for
hosts it granted DHCP leases to.

Let me give you an example to clarify this:

My host daniel-desktop is assigned ip address 192.168.10.5 from dnsmasq
via DHCP. From now on, DNS queries for host "daniel-desktop" will be
answered with 192.168.10.5 by dnsmasq. My question is: How can I disable
this behavior. I do not want dnsmasq to inject anything into the DNS
namespace because I'm running an instance of BIND to serve the names of
my local network.

In other words: How can I configure dnsmasq to NOT reply with
information from the DHCP leases file.

Thanks
 Daniel