[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq & dynamic DHCP updates?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu May 24 19:53:03 BST 2007

Question...

I recently added dnsmasq support to cobbler
(http://cobbler.et.redhat.com), and I'm wanting a way to update both DNS
and DHCP entries programatically without restarting dnsmasq, if
possible.   (Editing a config file or two and signalling is totally
fine).   In general, what I want is something analogous to the dynamic
modification abilities of ISC omshell, without the utter brokenness that
is omshell :)

I see the live DNS update portions are doable from reading
/usr/share/doc/dnsmasq-2.38/DBus-interface, though is something like
this doable for DHCP entries?   For instance, if I have a datacenter
with a new computer off the truck (MAC AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF, I want to be
able to assign that to hostname "blippy", though it looks like I first
need to know it's IP to do that... thus I need to modify the DHCP config
to assign this by a dhcp-host entry.   I'm not sure how to go about
doing that dynamically now.

Basically right now I'm just templating out dnsmasq.conf and doing a
SIGHUP (/sbin/service dnsmasq reload), which per the manpage reloads
resolve.conf stuff, but not the dhcp-host entries in dnsmasq.conf ...
Or am I wrong about that?

Regardless, dnsmasq setup was quite easy, and I'm likely to use it much
more in the future.  Neat stuff.

Thanks,

Michael DeHaan