[Dnsmasq-discuss] split DNS, multiple --local entries and secondary DNS

Martijn Brinkers (List) martijn.list at gmail.com
Thu May 24 23:26:51 BST 2007

> > This seems not work for me. I use DNSMasq from Debian Sarge which is
> > version 2.22. Could it be that that version does not support this?
>

> I have tried the latest version from unstable (version 2.39) (did a
> backport to sarge) but without success.

It seems to be working when I do not add additional DNS servers to
resolv.conf so it looks like:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

And add the following option to dnsmasq.conf

resolv-file=/etc/resolv2.conf

resolv2.conf will now contain the external DNS settings.

This seems to be working. Somehow it looks like the resolver that is used by
the Debian system has a quick timeout and starts to try the next DNS server
from the resolv.conf file. Using a separate list of DNS servers seem to
solve this.

Can someone confirm this behavior?

Martijn