[Dnsmasq-discuss] split DNS, multiple --local entries and secondary DNS

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri May 25 07:33:50 BST 2007

Martijn Brinkers (List) wrote:
>>> This seems not work for me. I use DNSMasq from Debian Sarge which is
>>> version 2.22. Could it be that that version does not support this?
>>
>> I have tried the latest version from unstable (version 2.39) (did a
>> backport to sarge) but without success.
>

> It seems to be working when I do not add additional DNS servers to
> resolv.conf so it looks like:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>

> And add the following option to dnsmasq.conf
>
> resolv-file=/etc/resolv2.conf
>
> resolv2.conf will now contain the external DNS settings.
>
> This seems to be working. Somehow it looks like the resolver that is used by
> the Debian system has a quick timeout and starts to try the next DNS server
> from the resolv.conf file. Using a separate list of DNS servers seem to
> solve this.
>
> Can someone confirm this behavior?
>
> Martijn

That makes some sense: dnsmasq relies on the resolver re-trying the
query to send it to the second server. If the resolver other servers to
use, it will re-try the query using those.

from man resolv.conf:

The algorithm  used  is to try a name server, and if the query times
out, try the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying
all  the  name  servers  until  a  maximum number of retries are
made.

Your fix looks to be entirely correct.