[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: dnsmasq & dynamic DHCP updates?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri May 25 09:41:13 BST 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Question...
>>
>> I recently added dnsmasq support to cobbler
>> (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com), and I'm wanting a way to update both
>> DNS and DHCP entries programatically without restarting dnsmasq, if
>> possible.   (Editing a config file or two and signalling is totally
>> fine).   In general, what I want is something analogous to the dynamic
>> modification abilities of ISC omshell, without the utter brokenness
>> that is omshell :)
>>
>> I see the live DNS update portions are doable from reading
>> /usr/share/doc/dnsmasq-2.38/DBus-interface, though is something like
>> this doable for DHCP entries?   For instance, if I have a datacenter
>> with a new computer off the truck (MAC AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF, I want to be
>> able to assign that to hostname "blippy", though it looks like I first
>> need to know it's IP to do that... thus I need to modify the DHCP
>> config to assign this by a dhcp-host entry.   I'm not sure how to go
>> about doing that dynamically now.
>>
>> Basically right now I'm just templating out dnsmasq.conf and doing a
>> SIGHUP (/sbin/service dnsmasq reload), which per the manpage reloads
>> resolve.conf stuff, but not the dhcp-host entries in dnsmasq.conf ...
>> Or am I wrong about that?
>>
>> Regardless, dnsmasq setup was quite easy, and I'm likely to use it
>> much more in the future.  Neat stuff.

Cool. Are you using the TFTP server in dnsmasq? I'm interested in
reports on how well it scales.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael DeHaan
>>
> Just read
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2006q3/000892.html
> -- that appears to do what I want.
>
> If that can also be added to the dbus interface that would be
> interesting :)

That's bubbling up the list nicely, but I'm still undecided on the need
 to make configuration added via DBus persistent. At the moment,
anything set using DBus evaporates if dnsmasq is restarted, with just a
signal on the DBus as a hint to re-install it. It might make more sense
to save the information in a file so that dnsmasq restart is transparent.