[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: dnsmasq & dynamic DHCP updates?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri May 25 15:56:42 BST 2007

Simon Kelley wrote:

> Cool. Are you using the TFTP server in dnsmasq? I'm interested in
> reports on how well it scales.

My "lab" setup is pretty small, but maybe someone using it will try it...

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Michael DeHaan
>>>

>> Just read
>> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2006q3/000892.html
>> -- that appears to do what I want.
>>
>> If that can also be added to the dbus interface that would be
>> interesting :)
>>

> That's bubbling up the list nicely, but I'm still undecided on the need
>  to make configuration added via DBus persistent. At the moment,
> anything set using DBus evaporates if dnsmasq is restarted, with just a
> signal on the DBus as a hint to re-install it. It might make more sense
> to save the information in a file so that dnsmasq restart is transparent.

Yes, that would be very useful...  Doing everything from the DBUS api
and just have that serialized would be quite slick.

Currently what I decided to do was to write to /etc/ethers (setting:
read-ethers) and /var/lib/cobbler/cobbler_hosts, configuring
dnsmasq to use /var/lib/cobbler/cobbler_hosts as a supplemental host
file (setting: addn-hosts).

So the only thing I apparently need to add to /etc/dnsmasq.conf
programmatically is the handling to set the bootloader for non
"pxelinux.0" arches.  For this I'm using
dhcp-host=net:archname,$macaddress and dhcp-boot=net:archname,$filename.

I haven't gotten around to testing IA64 yet, though this seems to be the
right way to go about it.
Tag the particular non-pxelinux MACs for usage with a different
bootloader.  (BTW, the tagging idea is great).

Further question -- As I couldn't be quite sure from the docs, is
/etc/dnsmasq.conf reloaded on SIGHUP, or is there an option for this?
Can it be polled?

Also ... is /etc/ethers and the additional host file polled by dnsmasq?
It sounds like the SIGHUP isn't required for additions to those
two files.  I did read where /etc/resolv.conf was polled, though I'm not
making any changes there.

Thanks again,

Michael