[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: dnsmasq & dynamic DHCP updates?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri May 25 18:43:36 BST 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Further question -- As I couldn't be quite sure from the docs, is
> /etc/dnsmasq.conf reloaded on SIGHUP, or is there an option for this?
> Can it be polled?

No, no and no. dnsmasq drops root after startup and there are options in
dnsmasq.conf that would need root to change (binding privileged ports
and the like).

> Also ... is /etc/ethers and the additional host file polled by dnsmasq?
> It sounds like the SIGHUP isn't required for additions to those
> two files.  I did read where /etc/resolv.conf was polled, though I'm not
> making any changes there.

Only /etc/resolv.conf is polled, to cope with DHCP clients and pppd
which just re-write it. It takes significant hoop-jumping to avoid race
conditions so I didn't extend it to hosts and ethers. You need SIGHUP to
  re-read those.

Cheers,

Simon