[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: Using Machine Name to Allocate IP Address

Rajeshwar rajeshwar at primesoftsolutionsinc.com
Mon Jun 4 05:04:13 BST 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am new for this configuration so please help me.

# Uncomment this to enable the integrated DHCP server, you need
# to supply the range of addresses available for lease and optionally
# a lease time. If you have more than one network, you will need to
# repeat this for each network on which you want to supply DHCP
# service.
#dhcp-range=192.168.0.51,192.168.0.254,12h

# This is an example of a DHCP range where the netmask is given. This
# is needed for networks we reach the dnsmasq DHCP server via a relay
# agent. If you don't know what a DHCP relay agent is, you probably
# don't need to worry about this.

dhcp-range=192.168.0.51,192.168.0.254,255.255.255.0,12h (which I am using
for DHCP now)

# This is an example of a DHCP range with a network-id, so that
# some DHCP options may be set only for this network.
#dhcp-range=red,192.168.0.50,192.168.0.150

There are few queries:
If I mention the static in configuration file:
1) Will client be in DHCP or manually assigned?
2) When I connect a new PC, will it takes IP address automatically or is
   there any Authentication?
3) how come we know that this IP address is assigned to this particular
   Desktop.

My requirement is when I new PC get connected, it should not get the IP
address unless I specify in conf. file.

I will be online in skype if you can also come there it is useful for us
My id is rajeshwarrao.ammu

Waiting for your favorable reply

Regards,
Rajeshwar