[Dnsmasq-discuss] Restricting dhcp-range to certain MAC prefixes?

Dermot Bradley dermot.bradley at sla-mobile.com
Thu Jun 14 17:52:48 BST 2007

> Some shots in the dark... :-)

Thanks :-)

> I've never tried this, but do either of these work?
>
> dhcp-
> range=net:aastra,net:elmeg,net:grandstream,net:snom,
> 10.10.10.50,10.10.10.80,12h

Nope, it only responsed to the Aastra device and not to a Snom.

> or:
>
> dhcp-range=net:aastra,10.10.10.50,10.10.10.80,12h
> dhcp-range=net:elmeg,10.10.10.50,10.10.10.80,12h
> dhcp-range=net:grandstream,10.10.10.50,10.10.10.80,12h
> dhcp-range=net:snom,10.10.10.50,10.10.10.80,12h

This seems to work - I have tested with 2 devices so far. I'd assumed
that DNSMASQ would complain about this as its using the same IP range 4
times but so far it seems to be happy with it. I'll test further...

> You can't pass the filename-to-request to the client via DHCP? :-(

Well it is more for devices that ask for a standard filename (via TFTP)
and I want to, for example, read this file from a differing
sub-directory based on the device's IP addresses so for example the
TFTPD server could have a filesystem layout like:

	/tftpboot/default/config
	/tftpboot/10.10.10.1/config
	/tftpboot/10.10.10.2/config

and when request any device requests "config" they get a differing
file returned (think auto-provisioning, or security but restricting what
files a device can fetch).

Some of these devices ask for multiple files during boot (i.e. firmware
file, generic config, device specific config, etc) so that's why using
the DHCP 66/67 options won't handle this issue.

It'd be nice to see this in DNSMASQ's TFTP functionality.

SLA Mobile APAC, part of Stirk, Lamont & Associates Ltd.
Registered Address: Thomas Andrews House, Queens Road, Belfast,  BT3 9DU
Registered in Northern Ireland, Number: NI 47983. VAT Number: 832 2778 22