[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: [Fwd: 'server' in resolv.conf]

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 17:53:53 BST 2007

On 6/15/07, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>

> > I recently came across an intresting behaviour.
> >
> > I had my system (mis?)configured to have 'server 192.168.195.1' in
> > my /etc/resolv.conf.  This works for other tools (nss, and 'host'), but
> > the standard is clearly to use 'nameserver 192.168.195.1'.
> >                                 ^^^^
> >
> > I know what I did is out of spec, but to save others having to look up
> > the source to see what the strcmp() is matching on, should dnsmasq
> > accept both?
> >

> That seems best: I've made the change for the next release.

I think the verbose/debug mode of dnsmasq prints out each nameserver
it will use.... maybe also useful to print out warnings for each
unrecognized line in resolv.conf?  Of course, then you'd have to have
a list of "known directives that aren't interesting to dnsmasq" to
avoid the warnings for those.