[Dnsmasq-discuss] segfaults in 2.39 after a while

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Jun 20 09:49:39 BST 2007

Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Simon Kelley (simon at thekelleys.org.uk) wrote on 17 June 2007 17:21:
>  >Carlos Carvalho wrote:
>  >> Simon Kelley (simon at thekelleys.org.uk) wrote on 17 June 2007 09:17:
>  >>  >The next release will go further and have the ability to
>  >>  >(re-)read a file which can contain complete dhcp-host type machine
>  >>  >information. That allows on-the-fly update of tags, client-id and lease
>  >>  >times, as well as MAC/IP address.
>  >>
>  >> Good! I won't have to stop/start it whenever a machine changes. Any
>  >> test release out there? :-)
>  >>
>  >
>  >Yes:
>  >
>  >http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.40test12.tar.gz
>  >
>  >has this code: see the --dhcp-hostsfile switch.
>
> Unfortunately that's not enough :-( :-( It only allows one to read
> dhcp-host declarations but it's also necessary to allow dhcp-option
> specifications. My dhcp-hosts file consists of a series of
>
> dhcp-host=name,MAC,id:*,net:name
> dhcp-option=name,vl7,3,router-ip
> some other options
>
> Allowing changes to the host declaration only is somewhat restrictive...

There's a limit as to what can be changed on the fly: depending on how
data structures get used. (When re-reading a file it's first necessary
to remove stuff which came from the last read: if that's in use
elsewhere it all breaks....)

> Also I'd need to re-read addn-hosts, like it's done with /etc/hosts.

It's probably possible to do options, dhcp-range is not possible.

I wonder, would it be best to make the dhcp-hostfile have dhcp-host= and
dhcp-option= lines, like the standard config, or have a different file
for each with the hosts as now, and a --dhcp-optionsfile separate.

> I also change the dpch-range's...

See above, that will always need a restart.