[Dnsmasq-discuss] Restricting dhcp-range to certain MAC prefixes?

Dermot Bradley dermot.bradley at sla-mobile.com
Fri Jun 22 12:05:43 BST 2007

> > I'm just starting to have a look at that now. So what happens if I
> > enable
> > "--tftp-unique-root" and then a request comes in from a device where
> > don't have a directory created for its IP? Is it possible to have a
> > default directory for all "unknown" devices?
>
> That's no currently implemented, but it should be possible.

Thanks, that would be the icing on the cake. I'm working on
autoprovisioning stuff and am intending to have default config files for
device just plugged in and then use a Shell script triggered by DNSMASQ
to provision and then create device-specific config files which the
"--tftp-unique-root" stuff would then point to.

> dhcp-authoritative is not relevant here: that affects how dnsmasq
deals
> with clients which have a lease (presumably from another DHCP server),
> but are unknown to dnsmasq.

Well I'd like DNSMASQ to take over Snom/Elmeg/Aastra/Grandstream devices
that have existing leases from another DHCP server without it
interfering with any other non-phone device allocations - that's why I
wondered if combining per-MAC prefix dhcp-range lines with
dhcp-authoritative would make DNSMASQ authoritative ONLY for these
devices.

SLA Mobile APAC, part of Stirk, Lamont & Associates Ltd.
Registered Address: Thomas Andrews House, Queens Road, Belfast,  BT3 9DU
Registered in Northern Ireland, Number: NI 47983. VAT Number: 832 2778 22