[Dnsmasq-discuss] Adding a redundant dnsmasq server

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Jun 28 20:40:23 BST 2007

Richard Crane wrote:
> Once again the question of a simple backup/redundant dnsmasq system has
> come up. These are internal IP so we have plenty of address space.
>  Is there  a simple way to run two instances of dnsmasq doing dhcp
> serving for the same range, without their stepping on each other?  Our
> population of clients is about 45 that are active almost every day, and
> another  20-40 that show up from a couple of times a week to a few days
> per quarter.  Is it worth getting the MAC addresses of the "permanent"
> systems and specifically assigning an IP with a dhcp-host statement?
> Then why not give them static addresses?
>
> Comments?

You can run active/passive, providing that both instances have access to
the lease database: that's normally in a file, but you can use the
lease-change script to store it in a real database if required. Linux-HA
on a server pair would do it.

To be honest, if you really need redundancy, using the ISC dhcpd, which
supports the DHCP clustering protocol and active/active will probably be
easier.