[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and zombies

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Jul 2 13:33:55 BST 2007

Gerrit Kühn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> after my lastest dnsmasq upgrade (to 2.38 on FreeBSD 6.1) I noticed the
> following strange behaviour:
> dnsmasq leaves a zombie process for each and every IP it delivers via
> dhcp. I didn't recognize this until several weeks after the update when
> the process list of the dhcp-server was full. I got to work around the
> problem by downgrading to an previous version, which is running fine. I
> cannot exactly tell when this behaviour was introduced, but I has happened
> between 2.23 (working fine) and 3.36 (broken).
> Did anyone else see this? What can I do to help fixing the problem?

The most obvious place to look, given the symptoms, is the functionality
which runs an executable whenever a DHCP lease changes. That code was
not in 2.23, and it needs explicit configuration to activate it in 2.38.
Are you using that facility? (--dhcp-script)

The only other situation in which dnsmasq forks new processes is to
handle TCP connections, but that shouldn't be correlated with DHCP leases.