[Dnsmasq-discuss] Two instances of Dnsmasq on one VPN network

J Silverman g1powermac at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 22:59:23 BST 2007

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the info.  However, I think I found an issue with this setup.  On the routers, all the physical interfaces and the VPN interface are bridged together, so to dnsmasq it only sees one interface, if I'm reading this correctly.  So, I can't tell it to ignore the vpn interface, since to it, it's all under the bigger bridged interface and I also can't tell it to ignore the bridged interface since then I'd have no dhcp for the entire network.  Would you have any suggestions on how to get around this?

Thanks,
J Silverman

Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote: J Silverman wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> I was just researching this a bit more and was thinking of using
> except-interface=.  Would the no-dhcp-interface be
> a better choice?

Both will work: the difference is that except-interface tells dnsmasq to
ignore DNS queries arriving on that interface, as well as DHCP and TFTP.
no-dhcp-interface stops DHCP and TFTP, but allows DNS. In your case you
probably won't have DNS queries crossing the bridge, but there's no
particular reason to block them.