[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: Multiple mac addresses to one ip

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Fri Aug 17 18:15:40 BST 2007

On Friday 17 August 2007 08:06, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've just recently discovered dnsmasq through openwrt.  I'm trying to
> setup my laptop to get the same IP for dns reasons no matter wether I
> use the ethernet or wireless card.  I have two MAC addresses set to
> the same IP in /etc/ethers in the following order:
>
> 00:18:de:20:9a:c5       192.168.4.128
> <snip>
> 00:E0:B8:AE:40:5F       192.168.4.128
>
> the first line is the wireless and the second line is the ethernet.
> dnsmasq seems to honour the second line in ethers but not the first
> line.  is there a way to configure it to honour both?

I'm not sure if that's possible, but what you may be able to do is use your
client name to set your IP.  I don't remember how to do it off the top of my
head, but I'm pretty sure it can be done that way.  Look in the docs for more
info.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111