[Dnsmasq-discuss] illegal domain part warnings

Stephen Atty steve_atty at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 2 12:00:05 BST 2007

I've got dnsmasq set up on my home network and its
working extremely well.

I do however have a slight problem - which might not
be a problem with dnsmasq but with the way I've got
something set up.

I have a laptop which I use at work and at home. It
gets its IP address dynamically in both networks.

When I power up the laptop at home I get the following
message in the /var/log/warn file:

Sep  1 09:05:53 strauss dnsmasq[2940]: Ignoring DHCP
host name KODALY.myworks.domain.com because it has an
illegal domain part.

ipconfig /all on the laptop (XP Pro) shows:

Windows IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : KODALY
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
myworks.domain.com
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
myworks.domain.com
                                            tty.org.uk

Everything is working fine as far as I can tell. So
the question is:

1) Do I just ignore the message and leave things as
they are
2) Tweak dnsmasq to stop it reporting the error
3) Tweak my XP config so its primary DNS suffix
changes when I'm at home (I assume that it is this
that is causing the message to be reported)