[Dnsmasq-discuss] setting up dynamic DNS?

Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert redbully at cc.fh-luh.de
Mon Sep 10 23:48:46 BST 2007

Adam Hardy wrote:
> It's the fqdn.fqdn line that causes the problem! I took that out of the
> dhclient.conf on the clients and now have just
>
> send host-name gondor;
>
> which works (massive grin!) - thanks!

fine ^-^

> But there is one more niggle: it looks as though dnsmasq on isengard is
> asking the internet name-server where isengard is when another machine
> asks it to resolve its hostname.
>
> isengard dnsmasq[2716]: query[AAAA] isengard.localdomain.net from
> 192.168.0.234
> isengard dnsmasq[2716]: forwarded isengard.localdomain.net to 194.74.65.69
> isengard dnsmasq[2716]: forwarded isengard.localdomain.net to 194.74.65.69
> isengard dnsmasq[2716]: query[AAAA] isengard.localdomain.net from
> 192.168.0.234
> isengard dnsmasq[2716]: forwarded isengard.localdomain.net to
> 194.74.65.69

The "problem" is, your client requests the AAAA record, or in other
words the IPv6 address of isengard, which dnsmasq seems not to know (not
in /etc/hosts or somewhere else)
Because ...

> isengard dnsmasq[2716]: query[A] isengard.localdomain.net from
> 192.168.0.234
> isengard dnsmasq[2716]: /etc/hosts isengard.localdomain.net is 192.168.0.2

... when your client asks for the A record, the IPv4 address, it is
served directly from /etc/hosts

But as said in the last mail, if you want to stop dnsmasq for calling
upstream for things which are local, you may add
local=/localdomain.net/
to your dnsmasq.conf.

HTH

Greetings