[Dnsmasq-discuss] setting up dynamic DNS?

xerces8 xerces8 at butn.net
Tue Sep 11 08:42:07 BST 2007

Adam Hardy <adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com> wrote :

> PS here are the files for reference if they help:
>
> isengard:~# cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 192.168.0.2     isengard.localdomain.net isengard
> ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> isengard:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search localdomain.net
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 194.74.65.69
>
> isengard:~# cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf |grep -v ^# |grep -e ^[[:alnum:]]
> domain-needed
> bogus-priv
> filterwin2k
> domain=localdomain.net
> dhcp-range=192.168.0.3,192.168.0.254,12h
> dhcp-option=1,255.255.255.0
> dhcp-option=3,192.168.0.2
> dhcp-option=6,192.168.0.2
> log-queries

1.) .net is an official TLD. Do not make up nonregistered names in it.
Use names that were created for this purpose. See RFC 2606, quoting :

To safely satisfy these needs, four domain names are reserved as
   listed and described below.

                   .test
                .example
                .invalid
              .localhost
-end quote-

2.) do not complicate things !
3.) do not complicate things ! ;-)

> domain=localdomain.net
as said, use a private address , like domain=test or domain=adam.test
do not forget to also change /etc/hosts and resolv.conf

> dhcp-range=192.168.0.3,192.168.0.254,12h
Do you have a good reason to specify an own lease time (sorry if this was mentioned, I missed it) ?
What is wrong with default ? (remember : more options written, more mistakes)

> dhcp-option=1,255.255.255.0
> dhcp-option=3,192.168.0.2
> dhcp-option=6,192.168.0.2

dnsmasq does this by default. If you ever change the routers address, you will also have to remember
to change this lines. This is an unnecessary source of errors. Delete them

Again, I recommend using a Windows client for tests, because :
 - it works
 - it is simple
When it works, you can go and set up the other clients.

Regards,
David