[Dnsmasq-discuss] GPL v3

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Sep 11 12:04:50 BST 2007

Dnsmasq has always been released under GPL version 2. I avoided the
FSF's "version 2 or later" wording because I didn't want to give anyone
other than me control over the license.

Now that GPL version 3 is here, that means I have to decide what to do.
As far as I can see there are  four options.

1) Nothing: continue to specify GPL version 2 only.
2) Force move to version 3: specify version 3 only.
3) Allow version 2 or version 3, at the users choice.
4) Move to the "version 2 or later" language provided by the FSF.

I don't favour option 4: I like what the FSF does, but I still don't
want to give them control in the future.

I like GPL version 3: especially the "anti-Tivoisation" clauses. Dnsmasq
turns up a lot on embedded systems, routers etc, and I like the way the
GPL has helped to prise open access to these things.  As far as I can
see, GPL v3 is better than GPL v2 in this respect. That rules out option 1.

So the choice comes down to 2 or 3. GPL v3 only or a choice of v2 or v3.
I'm interested in the opinions of the users of dnsmasq, represented by
the users of this list.

All this, of course only applies to future releases, all existing
releases remain and will remain under GPL v2. There's also a possibility
of a final GPL v2 release before any change.

What does the team think?