[Dnsmasq-discuss] Local domains and local hosts

Lars Noodén lars at umich.edu
Fri Sep 21 12:21:12 BST 2007

I'm trying out the 'local=' parameter in DNSmasq, but hosts queried
under the local domain return an error.  For example:

	$ host apt-cacher.mysubdomain.mydomain.fi
	apt-cacher.mysubdomain.mydomain.fi has address 192.168.123.45
	Host apt-cacher.mysubdomain.mydomain.fi not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

The machine exists and can be contacted via the net and DNSmasq *does*
return the correct IPv4 address associated with the host name, but it
also returns an error.  So, although the response works fine for manual
queries, scripts are going to treat it as a failure.

	$ host apt-cacher.mysubdomain.mydomain.fi || echo flopped
	apt-cacher.mysubdomain.mydomain.fi has address 192.168.123.45
	Host apt-cacher.mysubdomain.mydomain.fi not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
	flopped

I have set the 'local' and 'address' lines in apt.conf to include the
following:

	local=/mysubdomain.mydomain.fi/

	address=/apt-cacher.mysubdomain.mydomain.fi/192.168.123.45

What should I adjust to eliminate the error response?

Regards,
-Lars