[Dnsmasq-discuss] Local domains and local hosts

Lars Noodén lars at umich.edu
Fri Sep 21 16:51:20 BST 2007

Simon Kelley wrote:

> ... The problem is that "host" is doing both IPv4 and IPv6 queries. The Ipv6
> one isn't finding data and would normally return "no-such-domain",
> because of the local=/mysubdomain.mydomain.fi/ configuration and does so
> in this case. That confuses the query code (if the domain doesn't exist,
> there's no point repeating the query for IPv4). There is code to address
> this, but it's broken in this case.
>
> http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.41test4.tar.gz
>
> should fix things.

Thanks Jima and Simon.  The new code causes host to respond as expected.

Part of the problem is that IPv6 is still on my list of things to do.
Hopefully by March, I'll be able to re-do the LAN.

I've taken a quick look again at the man page and the sample
configuration file and see no (obvious) mention if 'address=" can be
used to return IPv6 addresses.  That might also be a work-around.

Regards,
-Lars