[Dnsmasq-discuss] domain suffix and dns caching

Louis-Michel Gelinas lgelinas at coradiant.com
Thu Oct 4 20:06:37 BST 2007

Hi list,

I am using dnsmasq as a caching dns server, no DHCP.

/etc/resolv.conf contains only :
nameserver 127.0.0.1

dnsmsq.conf contains:

resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf.dnsmasq
listen-address=127.0.0.1

and /etc/resolv.conf.dnsmasq is maintained by helper scripts.

all is good and works fine, apart the domain suffix.

I would like dnsmasq to ADD the suffix to queries without one. This is
the job of libresolv if I understand correctly, and /etc/resolv.conf is
only read once ( res_init will have it-reread, but I would like to find
another solution, hence dnsmasq).

The reason I use dnsmasq is to be able to change dns configs without
restarting deamons (or using res_init). This works for dns servers, but
changing the suffix does not.

Can this be done with stock dnsmasq? Is my idea broken in the first
place ?

If this cannot be done with dnsmasq, is a patch welcome? any
recommendations as to how to do this?

Thanks
Louis-Michel Gelinas