[Dnsmasq-discuss] Deferring to external nameserver for certain local domain names

Brandon Beck bmbeck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 06:47:23 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already.  I'm looking for a
way to tell dnsmasq to use an external nameserver for certain names in my
local domain.

My situation is interesting, but I don't think it's an unreasonable one.
I'm using Google's "apps for your domain" service for my email, and in my
public dns entry have a CNAME record that points mail.mydomain.com to
ghs.google.com.  On my local network however, dnsmasq believes it knows
everything there is to know about mydomain.com and that since it doesn't see
a dhcp record for mail.mydomain.com one must not exist.  Is there a way I
can get dnsmasq to see that CNAME on the public dns server while still
retaining the ability for dnsmasq to pull entries for mydomain.com from
DHCP?

Thanks,
Brandon