[Dnsmasq-discuss] Deferring to external nameserver for certain local domain names

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Jan 10 09:07:55 GMT 2008

Brandon Beck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I apologize if this has been asked and answered already.  I'm looking for a
> way to tell dnsmasq to use an external nameserver for certain names in my
> local domain.
>
> My situation is interesting, but I don't think it's an unreasonable one.
> I'm using Google's "apps for your domain" service for my email, and in my
> public dns entry have a CNAME record that points mail.mydomain.com to
> ghs.google.com.  On my local network however, dnsmasq believes it knows
> everything there is to know about mydomain.com and that since it doesn't see
> a dhcp record for mail.mydomain.com one must not exist.  Is there a way I
> can get dnsmasq to see that CNAME on the public dns server while still
> retaining the ability for dnsmasq to pull entries for mydomain.com from
> DHCP?

You can override the knowledge about mydomain.com for more specific domains.

so

server=/mail.mydomain.com/<address of your upstream DNS server>

will send queries to the upstream server for just mail.mydomain.com
(actually for *.mail.mydomain.com too)

That's not perfect, since it means you have to hard-code the IP of the
upstream server rather than using the one in resolv.conf, but it's the
best that's possible, I think.