[Dnsmasq-discuss] force broadcast BOOTP reply

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jan 11 11:46:31 GMT 2008

Bodo Bellut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on Linux dnsmasq uses unicast BOOTP replies in combination with ARP
> injection. I'm trying to boot a PXE client which doesn't like this (the
> fact that it's using BOOTP rather than DHCP already shows its age...) and
> wants a broadcast reply instead.
>
> Is there a way to force a broadcast BOOTP reply instead of a unicast one?
>
> Other BOOTP clients and of course all DHCP clients work fine with dnsmasq.

There's a flag bit in the request which the client can set to force a
broadcast reply. Maybe your client has an option to do that? If not
there's not currently a way to do it by configuring dnsmasq, but a crude
patch would be very simple (basically, just set the
reply-using-broadcast flag.) A proper configuration option would be a
bit more difficult, but not much.