[Dnsmasq-discuss] backend for dynamic data

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Jan 11 22:51:24 GMT 2008

let me state up front that I'm not in a position to dive into this seriously yet
but I have an distributed application were I am considering using an rbl like
DNS lookup.  Obviously, I could write my own UDP client/server but I would
prefer to recycle existing tools whenever possible.  I have come to count on
dnsmasq as one of my "highly trusted" DNS tools and I'm interested to see if
it's reasonably practical to stretch it just a little bit further to use either
a program or a DBM file to translate requests into responses.

Thanks for supplying a tool I don't have to worry about.

---eric

PS, I'm currently using dnsmasq to handle DNS and DHCP for vmware servers.  It's
really nice to be able to control IP addresses in one spot (on the host machine)
and make everything a nicely self-contained unit.  when I have the cycles, I'm
planning on experimenting with dnsmasq to also allocate IP addresses for the
virtual network feature of VM Ware.  Their DHCP server is really primitive and
not at all connected to the DNS tool.

--
Speech-recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct some.