[Dnsmasq-discuss] opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Wed Jan 23 13:24:30 GMT 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Mike Wright wrote:
> New dnsmasq user here and having a bit of trouble.  Googled and searched the
> archives and haven't had any luck.
>
> Running dnsmasq-2.38-1.fc6.i386.rpm on fedora core 6.

  Just making sure you're aware: Fedora Core 6 has been end-of-lifed since
early December, and is no longer receiving any security updates.  I'd
advise reinstalling/upgrading to Fedora 8.

> I'm trying to block adservers.  I think I have the config file setup
> correctly but dnsmasq is not acting as I expect.

  I know of people doing the same, yep.

> 2)  dig @lo mediaplex.com. any
>
>      opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED

  For whatever reason (I'm guessing design, sort of?), dnsmasq refuses to
answer an 'ANY' query for a domain it has an address= entry for.  'A'
works fine, in case you haven't tried that (okay, under 2.41test20,
anyway), but not 'ANY.'
  Simon, should an ANY query return the forged A record?  I can certainly
see both sides to an argument on the subject.

      Jima