[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMasq, DHCP, Shorewall, and Proxy Arp

Steve H. steve at csquaredtech.com
Mon Feb 4 08:02:02 GMT 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008 03:21:41 am rune.kock at gmail.com wrote:
> > > What if the netmask for the interface on the DNSMasq box/gateway was
> > > expanded to include all addresses?  I guess that could mess up your
> > > global routing.
>
> I think you could fix the routing table manually, and then it would work.

Hmm - playing even more tricks with the networking doesn't strike me as a good
idea.  Ideally, what I'd like is a 'do what I say' switch for DNSMasq - to
get it to skip that step of validation.  Given that the user has to
explicitly create a dhcp-range and then a dhcp-host entry, it should probably
be a case of "do what the user says, even if its dumb" :-)

> > What I don't understand is  why DNSMasq is confused.
>
> I guess it's because it also has to handle the cases when it has to
> serve different dhcp-ranges to different interfaces.  So it checks
> that the dhcp range matches the ip of the interface.  Normally a very
> good idea.

Networking isn't my strong point, but I'd say that with bridging, vlans,
proxyarp, nat, etc - you really can't tell whats 'expected' on an interface
from looking at its i.p. any more...

Anyway, if no-one has a "yes, dnsmasq can do that and here's how" sort of
thing, I guess I'll look at isc dhcpd.  I'm rather bummed as I've been using
DNSMasq for years, and its really awesome.  I _love_ the DNS/DHCP
integration - it makes it much easier to keep track of things when I can just
do a DNS lookup to find them :-)

Steve