[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-boot is ignored

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Feb 21 07:32:46 GMT 2008

Kent Tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I only want to assign fixed IP to a computer and specify a boot file.
> I am using:
>
>   dhcp-host=mac,hostname,ip
>   dhcp-boot=filename,fileserver,fileserverip
>
> As I don't want it to provide IP to other hosts, I deliberately have
> no dhcp-range lines. However, this setup is not working. Any
> workaround?

You are correct that the problem is lack of a dhcp-range. To do what you
want, add a dhcp-range which specifies the subnet where you are
allocating fixed addresses but doesn't give a range for dynamic
allocation. The keyword "static" as the second address does this:

dhcp-range=<subnet-address>,static