[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq gives wrong IP if using client id

Joerg Mechnich joerg.mechnich at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 10:01:46 GMT 2008

Hello Richard,

> If you have switched between wired and wireless, and the lease given
> to the other adapter has not yet expired, then the address is not
> available and a new address will be given out.

This is actually not the case. If there are no "foreign" leases on my
client, I can switch happily between wireless and wired network and I
always get the correct ip address (i.e. the ip stays the same).

Like I already wrote: the problem only occurs if my client requests any
other IP than the one set in dnsmasq.conf in the DHCP Discover packet
which somehow misses the point of using DHCP completely.

>From the manual's/dnsmasq.conf example point of view, using dhcp-host
with MAC or client id reads to be completely equivalent but it is
obviously not.

Cheers,
Jörg