[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq difficulty

Stephane Billiart stephane.billiart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 17:51:44 GMT 2008

On 05/03/08 ? ? 16:05, L Forrister wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just begun trying to configure dnsmasq, and am encountering a
> problem.  I am also really new to Debian, so please bear with me.
>
> I'm running Debian Etch.  The package manager installation of dnsmasq
> v2.35-1 went fine. But it doesn't start at boot up.  Running it manually
> in a root shell I'm getting the message
>
> < dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket: Address already in use >
>
> There's no other dns or dhcp daemons running, so I have no idea what
> socket/address the message is referring to and even less which software
> is creating the conflict.

Do you happen to run an NFS server on this machine too?
I once had a similar problem on my debian server but the other way around,
dnsmasq was preventing one of the NFS daemons to start.

Check your 'query-port' in dnsmasq.conf

You can also check what processes are using which ports on your server
with the command:
	netstat -anlp | grep -w LISTEN

Hope this helps,

--