[Dnsmasq-discuss] domain per interface

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 20:12:34 GMT 2008

On Wed March 19 2008 11:28:37 Simon Kelley wrote:
> > I think that in ISC dhcpd/named, this could be done with a subnet
> > declaration block with "option domain-name wifi.example.net;" inside
> > it, and of course a corresponding dynamic zone declaration in
> > named.conf. That's another avenue I don't want to pursue, because I
> > want to keep dnsmasq for authoritative DNS. (I'm using named for
> > recursion only, on port 35, with dnsmasq using "server=127.0.0.1#35".)
> >
> > Simon, am I out of luck here?
>
> Yes. This has come up before. The problem is that no domain information
> is stored in the lease database: dnsmasq assumes that the domain is that
> given by --domain. To support multiple domains, the lease file format
> would need to change, which is a compatibility problem.

Or maybe separate files, take the domain from the filename? Just a
thought: /var/state/dnsmasq/$DOMAIN.leases ?

> > I guess I could also do dhcp-script and nsupdate(8) to update a zone
> > in named.conf. But even then, will the dnsmasq block it? If dnsmasq
> > knows the answer, named is never consulted. What about this:
> >
> > server=/wifi.example.net/127.0.0.1#35
> > server=/3.168.192.in-addr.arpa/127.0.0.1#35
> >
> > Will dnsmasq ignore the names it has served to DHCP clients?
>
> DHCP names take preference over server config, sorry.

Before I saw this, I thought it was working fine. I can axfr the
3.168.192.in-addr.arpa. zone, which means dnsmasq consults named on
port 35, but individual PTR queries are indeed intercepted by dnsmasq.

The whole thing is incredibly silly (I was intoxicated when I got the
idea, so I did it anyway), but it was a cute idea. I could switch to
ISC if it was worth the trouble, but it isn't. Please file this under
"feature requests that should only be considered if they don't create
too much complexity, because the whole point of using dnsmasq in the
first place was for simplicity." :)