[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq not offering dhcp

Robert Diamond deadram at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:18:24 GMT 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:53:22 -0600
"Solomon White" <solomon.white at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to get dnsmasq set up as the DNS / DHCP provider for my
> home LAN.  It's working for DNS, but I'm not getting DHCP offers when
> I send discover requests.

Sounds to me like this "filtering" of dhcp requests is going down in
the kernel space. Check /proc/sys/net for options to the kernel that
may need turning on/off. As a side note (might help in this case), my
kernel echo's "martian" packets (ie: packets which should not be sent to
a particular interface, but end up there). dhcp requests always
generate martian logs on my network. Maybe you have pf set-up to drop
these martian, like in this pesuedo example

if (in-iface == eth0) && (src/dst ip != 192.168.1.1) ; then
	drop
fi

Maybe you just have some strict settings turned on in /proc/sys that
drop broadcast packets, or martian packets.

--
Robert A.M. Diamond
  <deadram at gmail.com>

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2% and it's all because of my
motivational techniques, like donuts and the possibility of more
donuts to come.

		-- Homer Simpson
		   You Only Move Twice