[Dnsmasq-discuss] The simplest setup to preserve IPs

Robert Diamond deadram at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 18:43:15 BST 2008

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:38:49 +0200
Michal Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net> wrote:

> I've tried with dhclient -H explicitly, and anyway dnsmasq reports
> that it won't assign the hostname, cause the IP doesn't match the
> hostname.

On my dhcp client -H means use the hostname that the dhcp server
provided. Also, on my client, -h <hostname> means send the hostname TO
the dhcp server. You need the client to send a hostname to the server.
My best guess is that the client does NOT send the hostname TO the
server. It currently accepts a hostname sent BY the server to the
client.

Sorry for the "dumb down" ramble above, don't intend to be rude or
nothing, but years of internet use have made my written speech callous
at best ^.~

--
Robert A.M. Diamond
  <deadram at gmail.com>

There are more dead people than living, and their numbers are
increasing. -- Eugene Ionesco