[Dnsmasq-discuss] --address command

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Mon May 19 14:08:32 BST 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008, Philippe Faure wrote:
> Based on the --address command in dnsmasq, it would seem that you have to
> give it either a domain name, or IP and dnsmasq will always return an IP.

  The --address flag essentially creates a fake DNS A record, yes; it
points a fully qualified domain name at an IP address.

> I was wondering if it would be possible to have the second parameter work
> with another domain name, or IP:port?

  Both of these concepts are outside the scope of DNS A records; the former
would probably best be served with CNAME or DNAME records (depending on
whether you need all subhosts to be aliased, too), the latter would be
more in the realm of SRV records (although I don't think it'll do exactly
what you're looking for).
  CNAME and DNAME records aren't available in dnsmasq, but SRV is.

  The question of "how do I send a port number in a DNS reply?" has come up
here before, and thus far the best answer I've come up with (and others
seemed to vet) for that logistical problem is this:

http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2008q1/001776.html

  Does that come anywhere near what you're looking for? :-\

      Jima