[Dnsmasq-discuss] Help Req: Name server discovery

gypsy gypsy at iswest.com
Sat May 31 21:43:24 BST 2008

Alex Chekholko wrote:

> gypsy wrote:
> > Does anyone have suggestions for finding name servers?
> >

> There are some available public name servers you can query, such as the
> ones provided by the OpenDNS folks.
>
> > After spending all morning running dig, I'm frustrated.  For example, I
> > stumbled across "orange.rr.com", which contains name servers for Time
> > Warner Cable customers in Orange County California.  But I don't know
> > what domain to use for TWC customers in Los Angeles County and I don't
> > know how to find out except to ask for name resolution on every
> > conceivable IP address in likely netblocks.
>
> $ dig orange.rr.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> orange.rr.com
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;orange.rr.com.                 IN      A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> orange.rr.com.          86400   IN      A       24.28.193.1
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> orange.rr.com.          5375    IN      NS      dns-pri-01.orange.rr.com.
> orange.rr.com.          5375    IN      NS      dns-sec-01.orange.rr.com.
>
> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> dns-sec-01.orange.rr.com. 1775  IN      A       66.75.160.38
> dns-pri-01.orange.rr.com. 1775  IN      A       66.75.160.39
>
> ;; Query time: 74 msec
> ;; SERVER: 10.10.70.5#53(10.10.70.5)
> ;; WHEN: Sat May 31 14:05:08 2008
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 129
>
> You can probably use 66.75.160.38,39 from LA, it's still very close on
> the network.
>

> > One might expect that a question posed to technical support or a search
> > of TW's web site might prove productive, but "No Joy".
>
> If you're on their network, you're using DHCP, and the appropriate name
> servers get set automatically.
>

> > If anyone can provide syntax /content for dig commands, or a script, or
> > anything else helpful, please post.  I believe many people in this group
> > would be interested.
>
> I guess I don't understand what you're asking for, exactly.
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Although Orange County is CLOSE enough, the DNS servers for it are not
FAST enough.  The population of OC (in 2006) is 3 million, and since it
is a highly technically oriented populace, "everyone" has and uses the
internet (thus DNS servers) extensively, so those servers are BUSY.

So I want to find fast servers and I don't give a damn if they belong to
TW Cable or not so long as I'm allowed to use them.

And I can't find a good way to find ALL the DNS servers in a given
"main" domain, which is what I want...  "Main domain" means "only one
period"; for example "yahoo.com" is a main domain but "mail.yahoo.com"
is not.

Brandon Beck posted later on saying the correct servers are in
/etc/dhcpc/dhcpc-eth#.info but the servers there have not changed since
November 2005.  They are also in domain orange.rr.com.

(Brandon, I'll have a look at help.rr.com.  Thanks.)
--
gypsy