[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 issue

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Tue Jun 10 14:31:48 BST 2008

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Adam Hardy wrote:
> My machine's IPv6 config seems to be up the creek.

> adam at isengard:~$ sudo ping6  ::1
> Password:
> PING ::1(::1) 56 data bytes
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted

  Uhhh.  That doesn't look remotely DNS-related.  To be absolutely sure,
though, try using the -n flag, which disables (reverse) DNS lookups.

# ping6 -n ::1

  That looks like firewalling is preventing the packets from being sent, to
be honest.  I'd be looking more at something like:

# ip6tables -L -n

  Which is totally outside the scope of this mailing list, but I try to be
helpful...oh, here:

# ping6 -n ::1
PING ::1(::1) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from ::1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.043 ms
^C
# ip6tables -A OUTPUT -j REJECT
# ping6 -n ::1
PING ::1(::1) 56 data bytes